Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Why golf?

It's not a fleeting thing, it's not a new thing, I'm just now fully realizing how much I really love this game. I can't remember not knowing how to grip a golf club-it's been a part of my life since I was a kid. My dad gave me my first set of clubs for my birthday when I was four. There were only 4 clubs in the bag, a driver, seven iron, five iron, and a putter. Those are pretty much the only clubs I continue to use when I play golf...I am quite partial to a nine iron and pitching wedge, as well though.


As a kid, I didn't really comprehend what it was my dad did for a living. All I knew is none of my friends dads had a job like his, and I was a kid who didn't like to be different so I was pretty quiet on the subject. I remember going to golf tournaments and loving that all of the other kids there had the same kind of dad. He'd leave early to play golf and he'd come home just in time for dinner. I never knew any different, so it was quite a shock when my dad said a few years ago that he'd wished he'd been home a lot more when we were kids. To me, that's just how it was. I would give anything to be able to go back to that time and truly appreciate my dad and his talent. I love that we are able to bond through this game. Last Sunday, we watched the final round of The Masters together...I can't even explain how cool it was to hear him tell stories about playing with golf legends-stories I wouldn't have cared about in the past but now make my dad so dang cool.

It's weird, I find myself now working in the golf world...but not because I pursued it. I was determined to not use connections to get a job in sports, I'm the independent free-thinking baby of the family that way. Finally, had to break down and asked my dad to help. Let me tell you something, golf is the nicest industry around...they take care of their own. A few weeks later, I had a job. A good job. And I intend to stay in golf.

Expect a lot of trivial stuff, predictions, insight, and an occasional post gushing about how hot someone is. Because I'll be the first to admit it, I have a thing for golfers.

No comments:

Post a Comment