Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Pick of the week: Zurich Classic

I'm going to attempt to be a little better this week...hopefully my golf attire today will channel some inner golf voice. Heck, I don't even know what I'm talking about. I just didn't want to put any effort into getting ready this morning, and I have a huge drawer full of golf clothes that require no thought at all. Slacks, golf shirt - bada bing, bada boom. Done. And I still managed to be 10 minutes late for work. I don't know how I do it.


My first pick: Kenny Perry

I was slightly heartbroken when he didn't win The Masters. Nothing against Angel Cabrera, but I just really wanted Kenny to win. He just seems like an awesome Kentucky dad and how awesome to be the oldest to have ever won The Masters. He played great, I'm sticking with him this week.


My second pick: Nick Watney aka "Rubes"


Okay hold it right there, yes, he is my favorite player on the Tour but he's also the most consistent this year. He, like so many other guys on the Tour, is ridiculously nice and gracious. I was able to spend some time with him at various things, and what they say about him is right on. He's such a gentleman, so polite, and really humble. He doesn't get the attention he deserves because he's not the most tv friendly - he's not the most emotionally expressive player, which honestly works for him-he keeps his cool. You won't really see much emotion from him, unless he totally shanks it.

His first PGA win was in 2007 at The Zurich Classic, since then he had a fairly disappointing 2008, but boy has 2009 treated him right. After taking the lead on his final putt for the first time that weekend, he won the Buick Invitational in February after coming from 5 shots back. He has been on a roll all year...making every cut, top 25 finish in all except for one I think. So now when I pick him, people don't just think it's because he's the cutest thing ever but because he is in contention practically every week. If he can stay out of bunkers this week, look out.

I also love this new thing that he's been doing, whenever he hits a bad shot-he covers his face with his hat. Also he experimented with his style at The Masters...you know I like that.

I told you he was my favorite. And his birthday is on Saturday...no big deal, just a million dollar birthday present.

1 comment:

  1. I never claimed to be a golf fan...but Rubes? I'm lost.

    ReplyDelete