Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Happy National Golf Day!

1. Yes, it's an actual day. Golf has a day.
2. Why am I at work today? Shouldn't this be a holiday in my industry?

You might think this day is useless and I actually might agree with you, but there is no other sport that gives back to charity and local communities than the PGA. I'm of course a little biased, I was raised in a golf family, grew up watching my dad give his time to Inner City golf and do charity events, but you can't ignore the numbers.

A study released last year at the inaugural National Golf Day, the 2005 Golf Economy Report, quantified golf's annual direct economic impact as $76 billion, and highlighted the fact that the industry provides 2 million jobs and $61 billion in wage income. The study also found that golf generates more than $3.5 billion annually for charities across the country.

Every player is encouraged to participate in a charity of choice, and I'd venture to say 100% of them do in some capacity. It's really great and they do some amazing things.

So happy national golf day! Go to the driving range and have a beer. I know I'm going to.

No comments:

Post a Comment